8. Blackened Salmon Po’ Boy
- 1/2 small avocado, pitted (see Tips for Two)
- 1 tablespoon reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon blackening or Cajun seasoning
- 8 ounces salmon fillet, skinned and cut into 2 portions
- 2 crusty whole-wheat rolls, split and toasted
- 1 cup arugula
- 1 plum tomato, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- Preheat grill to high. Oil grill rack (see Tip).
- Mash together avocado and mayonnaise in a small bowl with a fork.
- Rub blackening (or Cajun) seasoning on both sides of salmon. Grill until just cooked through, about 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- To assemble the sandwiches, spread the avocado mixture on the bottom halves of each roll. Top with the salmon, arugula, tomato and onion.
- Tips: Tips for Two: Although browning is inevitable, less browning is possible if you keep the pit in the avocado half you’re storing and wrap it tightly in plastic wrap. Mash with reduced-fat mayonnaise and use as a sandwich spread; dice and sprinkle on top of scrambled eggs; toss in salad.
- Tip: To oil the grill rack: Oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.) When grilling delicate foods like tofu and fish, it is helpful to spray the food with cooking spray.